Saturday, November 18, 2006

Building a Company in a Web 2.0 Era


I recently attended a party (didn't actually attend the conference as I couldn't justify the shelling out for the price of admission) during the Web 2.0 conference and I can't tell you how many folks I met who described their company as a "new Web 2.0 company".

Noting the increasing buzz in the Valley about this new "pot of gold", some observers have wondered where we fit into this map. Let me clarify our strategy in this regard: we do not see ourselves as a "Web 2.0" (or even a "Web 3.0") company. I do not believe the rules for success have changed. We need to build a business that generates positive cash flow in a reasonable amount of time. Being a new company we are focusing our efforts on bringing a new product to the market at which time post-launch we will then focus on distribution and then after that start the cycle again by delivering enhancements to the product that we hope will attract more users...not very exciting insights, but I believe it's the blocking and tackling that a startup needs to focus on...

No comments: